2014 is not the year of the blog! This time of year, it’s tempting to look into the next big thing and force it into your marketing mix. But for the average Irish SME, it might be best to revisit the things we have done before and see how we can make them work better for us in 2014. And that brings us to the humble blog. An effective brand builder and a practical SEO lead generator, you can be sure the right content for your blog will get you results. So what do people actually want to read about and not read about? Here are six things to keep in mind as you build content for your blog.
- Help – they want help! If you provide a complicated product or service, your consumers or even enthusiasts want to know how you can help them out of a tight spot by giving them a little information or guidance. If you’re worried about giving too much away for free – don’t…your helpfulness and generosity will hopefully not be forgotten by these prospective customers in the future.
- Insight – you know your industry and the hot issues only too well. Don’t be afraid to share your knowledge and experience.
- Myth busting – this is similar but very relevant in Ireland. Bad news continues to travel at light speed here over the past few years. If you can tackle misconceptions head-on about your industry which will be helpful to prospective buyers – do it.
- News? – I would say most people get their news from longstanding trusted news websites and you must ask yourself – is there something I can add? And if there is, great…but if you’re simply repeating news stories already found on other specialist news sites, it’s a waste of your time and space.
- How great you are – we like it to be known how successful we are and how good things are going but when we keep going on about it, others don’t really appreciate it. Over Christmas, you may have met up with an old acquaintance who told you how brilliant and successful they are at everything. I’m betting you didn’t hang around any longer than you had to! So perhaps instead of saying …we won a €3m contract, perhaps focus on why you won it and build your blog around that.
- The hard sell – even when people are expecting this technique (car dealerships/electronics stores etc) it can be tough going. So if you think your blog is another chance to list off your product benefits, please think again as you may be making people move on faster than they have to.
So this year, before turning to new tactics, think about your existing business development tools and how you can perfect them. Your blog should exude confidence, calmness and generosity. Happy New Year!
So what makes a good content writer? And what does an experienced content writer or copywriter have to say about pricing, original content and good old-fashioned bull and bluster? I’ve been in this game for a quite a while now and there’s always a few things that I’m happy to clear up. Read more ›
If you’re an SME food/drink producer, the chances are you don’t have a lot of time to devote to marketing. But yet you already know how crucial content marketing is. And you need to start with your blog! Here’s four ways to kick-start your content marketing drive without spending too much time or money.
Read more ›
Is there an end to this content marketing drive, you wonder? Now you’ve been advised that you need a video for your website. You can understand the value of it and you want to write a video script but need to get a handle on what it is and how to do it. While putting together a few lines for a 30 second or even one minute script sounds easy – it’s not. Take your time and keep these tips in mind when writing your first video script. Read more ›
Tax accountants – understand one thing. For the most part, we know very little about what you do and we depend on your knowledge and insight to handle the awful job of the tax return. Well, we have a rough idea – like when you need to change the oil in your car but it always makes a lot more sense to get a professional to do it. Your insight and experience is worth it – pure and simple. Read more ›
In the third blog in this series, we look at content marketing options for Irish SMEs in the tourism and hospitality sector. If you run a pub, B&B,hotel, restaurant or other small tourism business, ask yourself….what makes us different? If you sell holidays or destinations or beautiful meals or great nights out, you sell the biggest product of all – a unique experience. So, what content works and what doesn’t for hospitality and tourism marketers? Read more ›
If there’s an industry that can get the most out of content marketing, it has to be the ICT sector. For at least the last decade, the concept of the ‘business value of IT’ has occupied the minds of B2B IT buyers. Content marketing has the ability to clearly demonstrate the value of ICT investment. And it’s time for you to truly embrace it, if you have not already done so. Here are 4 types of content marketing that every tech sector SME should have in place or at least be planning for… Read more ›
If you’re a not-for-profit in Ireland, why does content marketing offer you so much? Ask yourself… ‘Why would you donate to your cause?’ Put simply, your donors need to know what you’re spending their money on and how this money is helping those in need. In this blog, we’ll look at practical content marketing tasks for charities and the not-for-profit sector. Read more ›
My mobile rang last Wednesday evening. ‘I got this postcard from you’ the voice said. It was a freelance web designer who needed a copywriter. ‘So what?’, you’re thinking. Well, the fact is I sent that postcard three years ago and this is the third query I got in the last six months even after getting a 25% response rate first time round. What was so special about this postcard? Read more ›
Oh yeah…I’ve done that. You’ve just met one of those people who just agree to everything and figure it out later. They can smell the sale and if you asked them if they have any experience shooting pandas in a Chinese forest, they’d probably suggest that they haven’t done it recently but the ‘principles are still the same’. Writing SEO web content is not rocket science but like any trade, experienced practitioners will use a solid process to create and deliver the finished product. Read more ›